- The control of the mind and the senses, austerity, purity, forbearance, and also uprightness, knowledge, realisation, belief in a hereafter– these are the duties of the Brâhmanas, born of their own nature.
- Prowess, boldness, fortitude, dexterity, and also not flying from battle, generosity and sovereignty are the duties of the Kshatriyas, born of their own nature.
- Agriculture, cattle-rearing and trade are the duties of the Vaishyas, born of their own nature; and
- action consisting of service is the duty of the Sudras, born of their own nature.
- that those who were inclined to anger, pleasures and boldness attained the Kshatriya Varna;
- those who were inclined to cattle rearing and living off the plough attained the Vaishyas;
- those who were fond of violence, covetousness and impurity attained the Sudras.